Re: NVMe drive PCI passthrough and suprise hotplug

On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 23:25:05 +0000, Kalra, Ashish wrote:
> [AMD Official Use Only]

Well, I hope it's okay to use it for libvirt officially too ;)

> Hi,
> I am using Fedora 33, with the following KVM, qemu and libvirt versions:

Note that Fedora 33 is already end-of-life, it would be great if you can
re-test with a more recent version

> QEMU 5.1.0
> libvirt 6.6.0

specifically this was released 1.5 years ago

> KVM 5.14.18
>
> We have done pass-through of a PCIe NVMe device to the guest running on FC33
> using either virt-manager or virsh and then we do the hot-unplug of the device
> while it is attached to the guest.
>
> The device is no longer seen on the guest hardware device list on virt-manager
> and then we hotplug the device again and we are able to use it on the Host,
> but when we try to re-attach it to the guest, we get the following error message:
>
> Requested operation is not valid, PCI device 0000:c4::00.0 is in use by driver QEMU,
> Domain fedora 33.

[...]

Unfortunately the tracing you've done doesn't really help in seeing what
gone wrong in libvirt.

Please attach debug logs per https://www.libvirt.org/kbase/debuglogs.html