Re: interface hotplug q35 machine type

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:37:12PM +0100, Miguel Duarte de Mora Barroso wrote:
> For our use case, I'm considering mimicking Openstack's implementation -
> [1] - and expose a knob that indicates what is the number of PCIe root
> ports to be used upon the domain definition.
>
> I wonder how open would the community be to having a machine type alias
> that would provide a "better" default - in the sense that it would have
> more root port controllers.

The problem with this suggestion is that the definition of "better"
varies depending on who you ask :) There is no one-size-fits-all
solution.

libvirt follows the "mechanism, not policy" principle: the mechanism
is already available, as documented in the page you were quoting, and
the policy is better implemented in your application. OpenStack is a
good example to follow in this regard.