Re: virsh create fails with "Unable to find any firmware to satisfy 'efi'" for aarch64 guest on macOS

On 11/30/21 06:33, Nathan Vander Wilt wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 11:08 PM Michal Prívozník <mprivozn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Since you are providing the path to both UEFI image and varstore you can
>> drop this 'firmware="efi"' attribute. It's what's causing troubles here.
>
> Thank you, yes!
>
>> A short trip into not so distant past. UEFI was introduced to QEMU, so
>> libvirt came up with <loader type="pflash>/path/to/uefi</loader> and
>> <nvram/> combo. This was suboptimal, because now users had to guess
>> which FW to select (because it depends on guest arch, secure boot
>> enabled, SMM mode, ...). So QEMU started shipping small, machine
>> readable files to each BIOS/UEFI image, which libvirt would parse and
>> pick the best one for given domain XML. And this is what firmware='efi'
>> controls. IOW, using firmware='efi' is incompatible with specifying
>> paths in <loader/> and <nvram/> and if you define this XML you'd see
>> that the paths are not formatted back (e.g. in virsh dumpxml).
>
> Okay, yes this was unclear. It's not in the documentation afaict and I
> saw some threads making it sound like it was the mere presence of the
> JSON config files that made libvirt ignore any loader/nvram
> configuration. But dropping the firmware attribute on the os element
> was indeed the trick to get rid of the EFI error. Thanks for the
> clarification!

Yeah, writing documentation is hard. When doing so I tend to put myself
into shoes of an user, but in fact I can never escape my developer
mindset. What is obvious to me is not obvious to users, but at the same
time - I'm unable to realize that.

Having said that, if you have any suggestion, I'm more than happy to
work it in.

Michal