Re: another upgrade another vm issue

On 10/30/21 6:57 AM, daggs wrote:
Greetings Michal,

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 at 11:36 AM
From: "Michal Prívozník" <mprivozn@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "daggs" <daggs@xxxxxxx>, libvirt-users@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: another upgrade another vm issue

On 10/28/21 8:40 PM, daggs wrote:
Greetings,

so I've upgraded my server and yet again, one of my vm lost a functionally.
there is no usable sound card.
xml: https://dpaste.com/CVR5M75VH
in vm: https://snipboard.io/aZ7Dcf.jpg

outputs:
utils_server /home/igor # qemu-system-x86_64 --version
QEMU emulator version 6.0.0
Copyright (c) 2003-2021 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
utils_server /home/igor # libvirtd --version
libvirtd (libvirt) 7.8.0
utils_server /home/igor #

any ideas?

Thanks.

I suspect it's related to:

   <audio id='1' type='none'/>

in the domain XML. Selecting a backend might help.

   https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#audio-backends

Michal

I've diffed the current xml with the one last known to work, they both have the same entry

Can you possibly downgrade QEMU, libvirt, and the host kernel independently to see if downgrading just one (or two) of them fixes the problem?

(I would normally have suggested diffing the qemu commandline from the logs in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/${guestname}.log to see if the VFIO portion was unchanged (and thus counting out libvirt from the possible causes of the problem), but the commandlines have recently switched to using JSON syntax, so they will probably be different anyway).

Since your audio device is assigned with VFIO, and libvirt has nothing more to do with that than just unbinding the host driver and binding the vfio-pci driver, then putting the info on the commandline for QEMU, I'd put money on the problem being either in QEMU or the kernel, in which case you'd probably get more useful advice from the vfio-users@xxxxxxxxxx mailing list than here.