Re: apt libvirt package

Please do not send HTML messages or top-post when using mailing
lists. It makes it more difficult to reply while keeping context.

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 09:49:27AM -0700, admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On October 24, 2021 2:38 PM, Peter Crowther wrote:
> > Do you want this on CentOS 8, Ubuntu 20.04, or something else?
> > The help we can give you will vary quite considerably depending
> > on the distro you use; and, as you point out, RedHat-derived and
> > Debian-derived distributions are very different.
>
> > For CentOS, do you have the advanced virtualization repo enabled?

Using CentOS Stream 8 with Advanced Virtualization, as Peter
suggested, is a good way to get access to relatively fresh packages.

Right now, that would net you libvirt 7.6.0 and QEMU 6.0.0, which are
just a few months old and should allow you to set up virtiofs.

> I would prefer the ubuntu packages. I am most familiar with that
> distro.  I can make centos8 work if I have to but I prefer not.

If at all possible, I recommend using binary packages instead of
building libvirt from scratch. It just makes everything so much
easier.

If you really want to build from source, have a look at the
Dockerfiles in ci/containers: there's one for Ubuntu 20.04, and it
includes the full list of packages you need to install in order to
satisfy all build dependencies.