Re: Bridge and VLAN trunk

Il 2021-03-11 16:05 Laine Stump ha scritto:
That's correct. Support was added to the Linux host-bridge device a
few years ago for per-port VLAN tagging/filtering, but there hasn't
been anyone sufficiently compelled (by their own needs or by their
altruistic instincts) to support that. It likely would be fairly
straightforward to do once someone dove into it - all the necessary
config attributes are already there, so it would just involve
recognizing and acting on them when a guest interface connected to a
bridge that was a standard Linux host bridge (of course in reality
there will likely be some unexpected incompatibility that will make it
more difficult, but at least *in theory* it would be simple).

Thank you for the direct reply - very appreciated.

So, if you can program in C and are willing to dig into the online
docs for setting per-port attributes for Linux host bridges and
implementing them (iirc via sending netlink messages) then feel free
to start hacking, and check in on irc.oftc.net in the #virt channel if
you have questions. Otherwise, I would recommend installing Open
vSwitch. I don't have a link handy, but I've seen a few HOWTOs
floating around, and followed one of them a few years ago to set it up
on Fedora and RHEL test machines.

The last time I wrote something interesting in C was over 5 years ago, but I remember the basics. I'll surely give a look at the relevant source files.

Regarding OpenVSwitch, I looked at it some years ago but it was somewhat complicated for what I needed; so I decided to remain on classical linux bridges. This seems a good case to reconsider that decision, even if I would strongly prefer to continue using normal bridges.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico