Re: How to exit console in L2 vm?

Hi Yalan,

I am not certain about that but I think it is as expected. When you send ^] (which is the common escape sequence used in telnet) on the host L1 console wil receive the key codes and forward to L2 console so the latter one should exit. But L1 console also receives the escape character itself so it also exits.

A solution it to set a different escape sequence for the consoles[1]:
  • -e, --escape string
Set alternative escape sequence for console command. By default, telnet's ^] is used. Allowed characters when using hat notation are: alphabetic character, @, [, ], , ^, _.

So that L1 console will not exit when forwarding the sequence to L2 console without quitting itself.

[1]: https://libvirt.org/manpages/virsh.html#description

Yalan Zhang <yalzhang@xxxxxxxxxx> 於 2020年11月30日 週一 下午2:55寫道:
Hi,

I have a question about nested virtualization. The scenario is as below:
1. Prepare the nested environment, start L2 guest.
2. On the host, connect the L1 vm console, then on L1 guest, connect the L2 guest console:
(host)# virsh console L1_vm
Connected to domain L1_vm
Escape character is ^] (Ctrl + ])
(L1 vm)# virsh console L2_vm
Connected to domain L2_vm
Escape character is ^] (Ctrl + ])
(L2 vm)# <=== press " ^] " to exit the console, it return to the **host**
(host)#

Is it expected that "^]" in L2 guest will exit thoroughly to the host, not the L1 guest?
Thank you!

-------
Best Regards,
Yalan Zhang
IRC: yalzhang

--
Regards,

Yukin CHAN, ISTQB

She / Her / Hers

Software Quality Engineer, Virtualization

Red Hat APAC

9 floor, Raycom Infotech Park, North Tower C

2 Kexueyuan Nanlu, Haidian District, Beijing, China

T: 86-10-65627449

PGP: AC7BCF02F44FA43F940A3B9A25D5E545D2C3D639