Re: virsh rights voor normal users

On 10/29/20 4:47 PM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
ah, yes. I try this:

$ virsh -c qemu:///system

But it then I get a prompt:

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.libvirt.unix.manage =============
System policy prevents management of local virtualized systems
Authenticating as:  sudo_user_not_disclosed
Password:
Password:
polikit-agent-helper-1: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure

Our allowed groups in the /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.libvirt.conf are no sudo users (this can change, but not as of now). It is a bit strange that the get the password prompt for a local sudo user we have in place for as systems have no working sssd connection to the idm realm (break glass user)

My user can use the system bus in cockpit without a password.

The dbus policy looks like this:

<policy group="groupname">
     < allow send_destination="org.libvirt"/>
</policy>
<policy group="other_groupname">
     < allow send_destination="org.libvirt"/>
</policy>

This is expected. qemu:///system uses an unix socket to talk to libvirtd and not dbus. I don't know what credentials does cockpit set there. But I'm not sure it's safe to go behind cockpit's back and talk to libvirt directly. If you'd change a configuration of a VM it may not be reflected in cockpit.

Michal