Re: Failed to get udev device for syspath '/sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id'

On 10/9/20 6:32 AM, Mathieu Tarral wrote:
Le lundi 28 septembre 2020 19:04, Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxx> a écrit :

On 9/28/20 5:21 AM, Mathieu Tarral wrote:

Hi,
I'm facing an issue with libvirt and the LIBXL driver, failing when searching for DMI data in /sys.
info : libvirt version: 5.0.0, package: 4+deb10u1 (Guido Günther agx@xxxxxxxxxxx Thu, 05 Dec 2019 00:22:14 +0100)
error : udevGetDMIData:1719 : internal error: Failed to get udev device for syspath '/sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id' or '/sys/class/dmi/id'
error : libxlDriverConfigNew:1803 : Unable to configure libxl's memory management parameters

Ján already pointed out this is the important error, which usually means the
xencommons service is not running and the xen tooling has not been initialized.
Do you see a "Domain-0" using xen's xl tool? E.g. 'xl list'?

I can run sudo xl list, and see the Domain-0

I have a custom Xen compiled from source installed, via the xen-upstream debian package generated by the makefile.
I think there might be a conflict with a Xen version that I installed before from Debian packages.

Also, I can see that the xencommons service could not start because of a PID issue.

I removed the xen-upstream package, and reinstalled xen-system-amd64 Debian package, rebooted, and now the libvirt connection works.

The thing, I would like to run the latest Xen, and at the same time, have libvirt to manage my VMs with virt-manager.
The main issue is that libvirt's xen driver depends on xen libs which are conflicting with my xen upstream installation.

I don't know how to solve this.

You need to rebuild libvirt against your rebuilt Xen.

Regards,
Jim