Re: support for live migration with PCI passthrough devices

On 8/25/20 1:40 PM, Henry lol wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm wondering whether libvirt supports live migration for the VM with PCI passthrough devices. or it must be assumed before live migration that all passthrough devices be unplugged?

Unfortunately, this is still not supported. The problem is that PCI devices themselves are not capable of dumping their internal state and restoring from it on destination.

There is a long thread started last month that discuss what the interface should look like, but at this point I guess we are still far away from it:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2020-July/msg00675.html

If so, all unplugged devices should be manually hot-plugged to the VM after migration??

This is the usual mode of operation, yes.

Michal