Re: Error in launching chasis

On 12/17/19 5:52 AM, abhishek jain wrote:

Hi

I am new to Libvirt and is starting Chassis but getting following error

qemu-system-x86_64: -netdev tap,id=net0,ifname=tap01,vhost=on,script=no,downscript=no: tap: open vhost char device failed: Operation not permitted

You aren't using libvirt, you are running the qemu-system-x86_64 command directly.

What could be the reason

Since you're not actually using libvirt in this example, this isn't the best place to ask, but based on the error message, I'd say that you are running qemu-system-x86_64 as an unprivileged user, and qemu is trying to open the device /dev/vhost-net, but can't due to the lack of privileges.

If you used a libvirt-based management application to start your qemu (e.g. virsh, virt-manager, cockpit, ovirt, openstack) then they would call the libvirtd daemon, which is running with full root privileges and would open the vhost-net device, then pass that to an unprivileged qemu. If you really must continue using qemu directly, then you'll need to either stop using vhost=on, or run qemu as root (and take all the security risks associated with that).

Regards
Abhishek