Re: KVM NAT stops from working

On 9/2/19 10:31 AM, Francesc Guasch wrote:
Hi. First of all thank you for the work you are doing with libvirt.
I am not sure this is the right place to ask, I'd appreciate
if you can give me any hint or directions.

I have several similar KVM Linux boxes and one of them has a really
strange behavior with the KVM NAT: It just suddenly stops from
working.

This is a Linux Ubuntu Server 19.04 with
  - libvirt-bin 4.0.0
  - qemu-kvm 1:2.11

Everything works fine and then suddenly the virtual machines
can't reach outside. If I run a tcpdump in the host I see
the NAT isn't working.

When the server just boots I can see the packets with the
server address going out:

     x.y.z.w.49138 > 8.8.8.8.53

Then, it may be some hours or days later, instead the server
address I see the internal domains address:

     192.168.122.33.19132 > 8.8.8.8.53

I try to restart the iptables but it won't help.

Any hints ? Thank you very much

1) On a freshly booted machine with running clients connected to libvirt's default network (and successfully sending/receiving traffic, of course :-), get a dump of all active iptables rules with

   iptables-save >iptables-working.txt

2) At whatever later time when you notice that the NAT is no longer working properly, get another dump of all the rules with

   iptables-save >iptables-broken.txt

and compare those two files to see what has changed.

Most likely some other piece of software (a firewall management utility maybe?) has loaded a new rule that takes precedence over one of the rules added by libvirt.

If seeing the rule that was added doesn't point you at the culprit, you can see if restarting libvirtd will fix your problem - whenever libvirtd is restarted, all iptables rules associated with libvirt's virtual networks are reloaded (which will put them back at the beginning of the chain, thus fixing any broken precedence).