Re: Question regarding using multiple physical functions inside a network pool.

On 7/12/19 3:44 PM, Mohamed, Faris wrote:
Hello,

I was planning on adding multiple physical functions using the built in SR-IOV features offered by libvirt to a create a bigger pool of virtual functions using the

<forward mode='hostdev' managed='yes'> heading

(I want to be able to use more virtual machines then there are virtual functions available on an ethernet port).

As soon as I try to define multiple physical functions in a pool, I get this error:

error: Failed to define network from biggernetwork.xml
error: XML error: Only one <pf> element is allowed in <forward> of network bigger network

when using this command:

sudo virsh net-define biggernetwork.xml

on the following XML document:

<network>
    <name>bigger network</name>
    <forward mode='hostdev' managed='yes'>
     <pf dev='eth5'/>
     <pf dev='eth7'/>
    </forward>
</network>

You need to define only the PF and libvirt will handle the rest:

https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Assignment_with_.3Cinterface_type.3D.27hostdev.27.3E_.28SRIOV_devices_only.29

Michal