Re: NUMA VM and assigning interfaces

On 11/21/2016 12:34 PM, Amir Shehata wrote:
Hello,

Hope all is well.

I've been looking at how I can create a virtual machine which is NUMA capable. I was able to do that by:

140   <qemu:commandline>
143     <qemu:arg value='-numa'/>
144     <qemu:arg value='node'/>
145     <qemu:arg value='-numa'/>
146     <qemu:arg value='node'/>
147   </qemu:commandline>

qemu commandline passthrough should only be used for qemu features that libvirt doesn't support directly (and even then it's only intended as a temporary stopgap until the feature gains official libvirt support). NUMA has been supported by libvirt for quite a long time.

If you open http://www.libvirt.org/formatdomain.html and search for "numa" you'll find descriptions of the configuration for defining NUMA memory regions, and assigning particular CPUs to particular nodes. The is also a small bit about defining a pci-expander-bus (a type of pci controller) and tying it to a particular NUMA node - this is how you can place a guest device on a particular NUMA node; just assign the device a PCI address that has the given pci-expander-bus' "index" as its "bus" attribute.

This creates two NUMA nodes.

Now I would like to assign my virtual network interfaces, of which I have three, to the different NUMA nodes on the VM.

Anyone know how I can do that? Any help/pointers would be much appreciated.

I'm trying to create a VM that will enable me to test a NUMA based feature.

The one thing I'm unclear about is whether the guest can be setup with NUMA nodes when the host itself doesn't have multiple NUMA nodes...