nested vms and nested macvtaps

Hello all, hope all is well

this maybe outside of libvirt-users....
Can you nest macvtap devices to ultimately receive a real routable ip on the nested vm?

I have a nested vm up and running. Both vm and nested vm are centos 7 on arch linux host. The first vm uses a macvtap in bridge mode receives dhcp from an external dhcp server.
I start the second vm and dhclient hangs and never receives an offer.
I stood up a static interface on the nested vm. If I initiate a ping from within the nested vm,  I can see via tcpdump that the echo request is seen on the non-nested vm and the hosting server. The reply comes back and stops/is answered on the hosting OS interface.

rp_filter is off. No firewall rules in play blocking dhcp or icmp

Any/all help appreciated

thanks very much