Re: VM in a VM on kvm/qemu

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:30:16AM -0400, Digimer wrote:
Hi all,

 For development reasons, I've setup a pair of VMs (host is Fedora 22)
running EL6 as an HA cluster. On these two nodes, I host a 3rd VM (so
Fedora 22 -> 2x EL 6.7 -> El 6.7). Currently, 'EL' == CentOS, but I can
switch to RHEL proper if need be.

 To my happy surprise, it actually works! Of course, the two-deep EL6
guest is slow as molasses. I don't really care about making it usably
fast because this setup is purely to dev/test the HA cluster VMs. That
said, a minimal EL6 install currently takes about 2 hours. So testing
deleting/creating guests is very slow.

I'm guessing that's software emulated (domain type='qemu').

 So my question is;

 Understanding it will never be good performance, is there anything I
can do to make the VM-in-a-VM faster? I tried looking for docs on this,
looking for ways to tune, CPU/BIOS options to set, etc, without much
luck. Most google results are about vmware and other hypervisors.

In case my previous guess is true, try looking up "nested kvm", which
should provide hw virt inside a VM, although that might be unstable,
not available, not working for your particular HW/setup, etc.

 Any pointers/tips/clue-sticks will be much appreciated!

--
Digimer
access to education?