Re: libvirt and guest processes

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Eric Blake <eblake@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/20/2015 07:32 PM, hanyandong wrote:

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

> As I know, you can use Libvmi  API  to access the memory of VM and then walk through the double-linked list of process to reconstruct the process list. it is easy, and libvmi has provide the example

Maybe so, but that requires very intimate knowledge of the exact kernel
running in the guest, and could be rather fragile; especially if you are
not freezing the guest while snooping memory.  Adding a guest-agent
command would probably be more portable across a wider range of guests.

I agree with that, even though this might work, but might require very kernel specific code. Probably not the road that I would
want to go down. Nevertheless,  Yandong, appreciate the suggestion.

>> No, I don't think there's a way. Problem is, libvirt views guest
>> internals private to the guest. Having said that, I don't think there
>> ever will be an API for that. Nor qemu-ga has an API for executing an
>> arbitrary shell commands.

There have been proposals on the qemu list for adding such a qemu-ga
command, although it hasn't been reviewed for inclusion yet.

Thanks Eric for the pointer, do you know if it is on the roadmap or some kind of plan though ?

Michal, thanks for your response too.

Regards
dtsweval

--
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266