Re: VM Performance using KVM Vs. VMware ESXi

On 4/15/2015 2:21 AM, Nikki VonHollen wrote:
Hi Jatin,

The RedHat documentation on this is extremely helpful. It's so helpful that I use it as a reference on completely different distributions.

VMWare does a pretty good job of guiding you and giving you defaults that are sensible. With Libvirt/QEMU/KVM, you need to get an idea of those and enable them yourself.

For example, I see that you are using qcow2 files, but if you don't need the features it provides, then using block devices (usually logical volumes in a volume group) directly for VM disks may be significantly faster. It also depends on how caching is configured. The manuals will step you through all of that. Pay special attention to storage, because it's the first bottleneck a lot of applications hit.
Sure , Thanks Nikki.

I will surely have to dig deep into storage as i can see a clear bottleneck in it. Thanks for the pointers.

Regards,
Jatin