Re: fstrim support in libvirt/qemu guests

On 11/3/2014 8:43 AM, Andrey Korolyov wrote:
On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01.11.2014 05:30, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to find out how to enable fstrim support for libvirt/qemu
guests. Specifically I'm trying to enable this on a CentOS 7 host (qemu
1.5). I searched the web but only found very vague information and no
clear documentation on the requirements or how to modify the guest xml
to enable discard/fstrim support.

One thing that you'll need is the guest agent:

   http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Qemu_guest_agent

Then you can just use:

   # virsh domfstrim $dom

Michal
... and probably discard-aware block driver (although I cannot name
anything except virtio-blk which is not supporting trim or will not
support in the near future). Not sure to which part, guest-host
interaction or driver abilities, the initial question belongs.

The virtio-scsi driver supports it, though you take a minor performance hit for switching.