Re: assigning a single IP to the guest with "typical" hosting provider

I think you should create a normal bridge, and use that bridge with the guest.

say create a br0, put the physical interface in that br0, say eth0

you put the ip on br0, and the host will be reachable, then the extra ip on the guest, and that should work.