Dynamically setting permanent memory libvirt-lxc

I'm trying to permanently change memory allocation for a libvirt-lxc domain. So far I tried changing memory in memory.limit_in_bytes under /cgroup/memory/libvirt/lxc/<container>/.  This didn't help. It appears that libvirt is not reading changes in cgroup.
My requirements are
1) Be able to dynamically change memory of a LXC domain without reboot
2) The memory change must survive LXC domain reboot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated