Best practice for custom iptables rules

Hi,
I'm using libvirt to manage some VMs on a CentOS host, and I need some custom iptables rules to always be in place for some communications to happen, e.g. between the VMs and the outside world in both directions.

Some of these rules need to be at the top of the iptables chain, otherwise the default rules added by libvirt would block the communications I need. So I cannot just add the rules in /etc/sysconfig/iptables, because libvirt adds its own rules _before_ the rules contained in this config file.

I was looking at filters, but maybe not every rule can be made into a filter? Specifically, I need a rule for the POSTROUTING chain in the "nat" table. Can it be added through filters?

Also, regarding the "iptables restart problem" described in the last paragraph at <http://libvirt.org/firewall.html>, is there really no acceptable way to make libvirt add its rules back automatically upon iptables/network restart?

Thanks for any info.
Marco

--
01