Re: Create RBD Format 2 disk images with qemu-image

On 10/17/2013 05:28 AM, Jon wrote:
Hello,

I would like to use RBD Format 2 images so I can take advantage of layering.

However, when I use "qemu-img create -f rbd rbd:data/foo 10G", I get
format 1 RBD images. (Actually, when I use the "-f rbd" flag, qemu-img
core dumps, but it looks like that feature may have been deprecated [1])

Is there any way to have qemu-img create RBD Format 2 images or am I
better off using `rbd` to create the image then booting from the disk
and performing the install, etc.?

If you're using recent cuttlefish or dumpling releases of ceph, you can
add settings to ceph.conf to make qemu-img and anything else using
librbd create format 2 images. In the [client] or [global] section of
/etc/ceph/ceph.conf, add:

rbd default format = 2

Josh

Thanks for the assist.