Re: minor swap issue ....

On 09/25/12 10:57, Eric Blake wrote:
On 09/25/2012 09:21 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

.... I have a CentOS 5.n VM running on a Fedora 14 server/host,
You do realize that Fedora 14 is no longer supported upstream, right?
The Fedora folks won't support anything older than Fedora 16 at the moment.

Yes, thanks. I am planning to upgrade this server to CentOS 6.n when I get a chance, but right now, it is serving many purposes, including across-the-LAN backups, singly since another server crashed a HDD a while back. I'll get around to it eventually ....

i.e. it took 3+ min. to get back to the prompt for this command (usually
about 5 sec.) .... This isn't a show-stopped by any means, but it is
irritating. From the timestamps&  data from the host&  guest, apparently
all of that was used up swapping the guest back in. Is there any way to
either prioritize the VM to not get swapped out, or preferentially
swapped back in :-) ? TIA for any pointers ....
I have no idea if this problem exists using modern kernels, or even if
you can use recent cgroup scheduling tunables (exposed via domain XML
here: http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsCPUTuning) to resolve
your problem.  But you are unlikely to get much assistance unless you
can reproduce the tests using more up-to-date software.

Fedora 12-14 are inputs/basis for RHEL/CentOS 6.n, so I am not clear on why they are not 'modern' or 'up-to-date' ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III