Live Snapshot and Rebasing using blockpull

Hello,

I am looking for a solution for live backups of running KVM hosts. I recently read this article which highlights the following method:
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/first-look-virtual-machine-online-disk-snapshots-coming-fedora-18

1. virsh snapshot-create-as to create the snapshot
2. cp myvm.qcow2 myvm-backup.qcow2 to copy off the now read-only backing image file
3. virsh blockpull to merge the base and snapshot images together into a single image again

Is this functionality only available in qemu 1.1? I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on production servers which only includes qemu 1.0.x. Is there a safe alternative for accomplishing live backups like this on qemu 1.0.x? Is there a minimum version of libvirt that supports this behavior?

Thanks,

Andrew