NPIV setup?

I'm missing something.

The purpose of NPIV (as I understand it) is to give a guest OS an HBA that it can scan, play with new luns, etc all without making changes to the physical server(s) the guest is living in currently.

However, I can't find a way to either have the guest's XML config create the HBA or for the physical server to successfully GIVE the HBA to the guest.  I can give disks all day long, but I can't give the HBA to the guest.

It seems like libvirt and virsh can only create the vHBA on the physical box, which defeats the purpose of working with NPIV then... I can just present the same luns to the REAL WWPNs of the physical boxes that need access, setup multipathd to give /dev/mapper names in a consistent manner, and give the raw disks to the guests.

I really want to get the physical KVM servers out of the 'storage management' game aside from the basic OSes of the guests.  How can I do that?

(or am I missing something?)

--Jason