Re: Non-persistent disk

On 08/15/2011 02:01 PM, Xianqing Yu wrote:
Hi Libvirt team,

I am trying to create a new domain from XML file by using libvirt. I
want this new domain using non-persistent disk as its disk.
Non-persistent disk means that when the domain is running, all the
modification would not be written to disk file. So next time, when you
boot VM from the same disk file, you would have a fresh disk. I check
the website but I could not find anything about this. I wonder if
libvirt support this function.

Yep, I'm working on it, and hope to have it in 0.9.5.  See my RFC here:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-August/msg00552.html

You will basically call out:

<devices>
  <disk ...>
    <transient/>
  </disk>

FYI, if I use KVM, I can use command "qemu-kvm -snapshot" to boot a VM
on non-persistent disk.

Unfortunately, that makes for a non-migrateable VM - so I'm working on something a bit more robust that stands a chance of creating a transient yet migrateable domain.

--
Eric Blake   eblake@xxxxxxxxxx    +1-801-349-2682