Turn off AHCI? bad sectors?

I'm getting the 7b bluescreen when trying to bring up an imaged XP system for recovery.

Looks like possible cause is AHCI on VM if missing from original hardware, or visa versa.

Or moving to sata hard drive from pata... which shouldn't be applicable here.

Also during an earlier recovery attempt I ran gparted from an ubuntu live CD on the VM/disk image. It gave me a Warning bad sector message.... the disk image is a qcow image. How can it have a bad sector?

Thanks all!

David.