Re: Objective: run commands in the domain. Trouble: setting up a console

于 2011年05月06日 22:39, Guilherme Santos 写道:
I've installed libvirt and also Virtual Box OSE hypervisor, in order to
see if I could properly manage it through virsh.
I could easily set up, start, pause, resume, shutdown and destroy the
newly created domains, from a XML file.

Then I was wondering how could I be able to spawn commands in the domain
through virsh, and the command 'console' gave me a the thought that I
should connect to the domain's console, so that, once connected, I would
be able to "do anything". Am I right?

I need to be able to run commands in the virtual machine. If the only
way is by accessing the domain's console, how can I properly set up one?
I tried several ways, following the examples in the documentation.

Problem is that no matter what I wrote in the xml file about serial or
console devices, it aways get overriden by null configuration when I
start the domain (I can see it by using command 'edit' <domain> ).

So then I tried to edit the XML through virsh and insert specifications
about console or serial devices, but I never was able to sucessfully
edit the file. I always got the same error message: "could not define a
domain, rc=80bb0004", although the domain is in fact defined! I tried
editing the XML both with the domain running and stopped.

My final alternative was using command 'attach-device' passing a xml
containing only the specifications of serial or console devices. I aways
received an error message saying that memory limit was exceeded,
although I strongly suppose that's not the real problem.

If it says "no memory", it's bug.

I am sure that I am configuring something (or many things) wrongly, so
that I am getting all those errors... My initial problem is just to be
able to run commands in the newly created domain. Anybody can tell me an
easier way to do this? If setting up consoles is the only way, what is
going on wrongly for me?

You need to configure your guest kernel command line. E.g. Append
following to your guest kernel command line.

 console=ttyS0,115200

For more how to connect to linux via serial console, search web, :)

Then something like following in domain xml:

  <serial type='pty'>
    <target port='0'/>
  </serial>
  <console type='pty'>
    <target port='0'/>
  </console>

Hope you can connect to the domain via console then by:

# virsh console domain

Sorry if an answer for this issue is already somewhere in the
documentation, I tried to find it hard before emailing you guys!

Thanks anyway!!

--
Guilherme Santos G. Baptista
Graduando em Ciência da Computação pela UFCG