Re: LXC libvirt support

On Feb 18, 2011, at 2:17 AM, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 05:47:43PM -0800, Nirmal Guhan wrote:
2011/2/11 Nirmal Guhan <vavatutu@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Osier Yang <jyang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
于 2011年02月12日 11:52, Nirmal Guhan 写道:

Hi,

Has anyone used libvirt to start/stop/manage LXC (linux containers) ? Is it supported at all? Last I tried, had few issues and the reply was
:

Yes, it's supported, though still much work to do, but the basic is
there.

///
Note that libvirt lxc driver is a different implementation from lxc tools
and doesn't use lxc tools internally.

Indeed, it doesn't invoke lxc tools.

You may not be able to do what

you are doing with lxc tools. Especially, the driver doesn't take aware of files and settings inside a container at all. You have to prepare them
by yourself in advance

libvirt.org has the example, e.g. the busybox example, I guess it could
explain "the driver doesn't take care of files and setting inside a
container at all, you have to prepare them by yourself in advance."

Regards
Osier

Thanks. Will give a try.
~nirmal

Seeing some strange behavior running fedora 12 for both host and lxc container.
I do a define, start and console :

[root@fedora12new lxc-libvirt-scripts]# virsh -c lxc:// console testf12new
Connected to domain testf12new
Escape character is ^]
--> I press enter here and virsh exits.

I don't get login prompt always. Sometimes I do and when I try to
login it rejects my password. Apparently, the same rootfs works fine
with lxc tools and I can login.

There are likely multiple problems here.  The issue where virsh exits
is a bug in libvirts LXC console handling. During Fedora startup
the init process will close & reopen the primary console. If libvirt
notices this happen then it'll think the close is a shutdown and
exit. I need to rewrite console handling to make this reliable.

Thanks. Let me know when you do and I can give a try.

Rejecting the login is likely a configuration issue - perhaps a
missing securetty entry, but also PAM has various things that
relate to selinux / audit that don't work within a container and
need to be removed - sadly i can't remember just which ones offhand,
but try removing items from the PAM configs.

Sure...

Snippet from  etc/event.d/tty1 :
respawn
exec /sbin/mingetty pts/0

I use "exec /sbin/mingetty tty1" for lxc tools and that works fine. I
had to try pts/0 for libvirt since tty1 does not even get me the
occasional login prompts I get with pts.

Also even after virsh shutdown, I see that the container processes do
not exit. Is there something else I should do?

This 'virsh shutdown' is requesting a graceful shutdown - guests aren't
required to honour this request. virsh detroy is the failsafe
Ok. Will try.

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com -o- http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :| |: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org :| |: http://autobuild.org -o- http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :| |: http://entangle-photo.org -o- http://live.gnome.org/gtk-vnc :|