Creating Domain and moving a kvm disk under libvirt control

Hi,
I'm trying to start using libvirt on my debian machine, but am having some issues. Regardless of using command-line or gui interface with virt-manager, building the virtual machine stalls on 0 with no indication of why it has stopped working. How do I go about fixing this or diagnosing this problem.

Also I've a .img file that work s with KVM, would there be anyway to import it for use with libvirt?

Thanks
James