xl and libvirt.

I have been trying do some simulations of an openstack environment on my workstation that is running xen and libvirt. I managed to create nested HVM environments under lx but found a number of shortfalls in libxl code.

I have added a nestedhvm as a domain feature and was looking at inspecting the domain configuration when I realized that the persistant data is keept in config files in /var/lib/xen/userdata.....

Libvirt and lx have incompatible file names and are using different config formats.
Libvirt keeps the data as XML and xl keeps them as xm config files.

This means that libvirt domains cannot be manged with xl or xl domains managed by libvirt. Part of me thinks that sticking with the XL file format would be nice from the point of view of being able to use xenlight tools once the domain is configured. At the very least it may make sense to keep an XL copy of the config file in a format that xenlight can use.

To achieve my original goal of managing a nested HVM environment from libvirt I need to get the CPUID flags working but I do believe that it would be nice to have the various xen and libvirt tools being able to talk to each other.

Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin@xxxxxxxxxx              ||