Re: uses of /etc/libvirt/<driver>/

On 18.03.2014 02:20, Eric Blake wrote:
On 03/17/2014 05:46 PM, Jim Fehlig wrote:
I received a report about an odd use case of /etc/libvirt/<driver>/
config files, and would like to hear some opinions about it.  The user
"preps" a host by mounting a remote fs containing VM images and config,
creates links in /etc/libvirt/<driver>/dom.xml to
/mnt-point/whatever/dom.xml, and starts libvirtd.  All is well until
there is a need to modify the VM config (e.g. virsh setmaxmem ...
--config), at which point libvirt replaces the link with a file
containing the new config, instead of updating the contents of the
linked file.

Not a valid use case.  Instead, the user should 'virsh define' (or
otherwise use the libvirt APIs).

I suppose I've always considered the contents of /etc/libvirt/<driver>/
private to libvirt, with a "modify at your own risk" warning, ignoring
that it is user configuration in /etc.  What are the guidelines for
modifying the contents of these directories?  Would the above be
considered valid use?

Point your user to:
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/FAQ#Where_are_VM_config_files_stored.3F_How_do_I_edit_a_VM.27s_XML_config.3F

and hopefully they will quit abusing files under /etc, as that usage is
explicitly unsupported.  We only support modifications made through
libvirt APIs.

But they are modifying XML through libvirt APIs (virsh setmaxmem ...). However, if they are sharing XML over several hosts, it won't work (this really is unsupported). You don't want libvirtd to be polling for XML definition file changes made from outside and then re-parsing the file.

What they could do, is to symlink the <driver> directory instead of individual XML files there.

Michal