Re: python pypi package - backport older version?

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 07:51:00AM -0500, Jason Antman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First off, thanks for the wonderful project, and thanks even more for
> all of the excellent work on the Python bindings lately.
>
> I'm working on a small project to collect data on kvm hosts/guests via a
> python collector client and display the data in a web interface. It
> works beautifully when using my various distros' OS packages for
> libvirt-python, but I've hit a bit of a snag when trying to do automated
> testing. I'm quite happy to see libvirt-python packaged as a python
> package and on pypi, but the version there is 1.2.0, which requires
> libvirt >= 0.9.11.
>
> Unfortunately, I was planning to test my python app on travis-ci, which
> runs Ubuntu Precise (12.04 LTS), and the latest version of libvirt for
> that is 0.9.8 (package python-libvirt 0.9.8-2ubuntu17.13).
>
> If I were to submit a patch, would there be any interest in me
> backporting the setup.py/packaging work to an older version of the
> python bindings - say 0.9.8 - and getting it published on pypi?

It is not practical to support any version older than 0.9.11.
The code generator requires that the API XML description files
be installed by libvirt and it did not do that prior to the
0.9.11 release

For older distros just use the libvirt-python APIs that were
bundled with that distros' version fo libvirt.

Regards,
Daniel