Re: Libvirt, nwfilter, openvswitch

Hi Gang, Daniel

Added a little  Script, linked to /etc/libvirt/qemu to be able to add some flows to my openvswitch. Script ran to my liking (IANAP), and then adding it to /etc/libvirt/hooks... Hang.
Only after a lot of looking around (in the last lines of the Hooks page), aha! Don't do this! don't call libvirt in your hook script...
:-(

What I want: the vnets and their mac addresses for the started VM, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for any of this script, but yeah... nope...
Is there _any_ way I can get the vnet list for the star{t,ted) vm with the corresponding mac address of the tap interface ?
I figure that the only way to know the mac addr of the VM would be to query libvirt, so I'm at a loss here.

Note, of course, this script ran perfectly from command line, until it went into /etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu ;-) da-mn!
Can this eventually be called from somewhere else?
Since libvirt has everything figured out in the 'start' stage, can't I receive more than just 4 parameters ?

Any ideas?

;-)

Greetz

Jan

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov <v.tolstov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2013/11/12 Laine Stump <laine@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Because it's terribly inefficient.
>
> You may, on the other hand, view it as "clever", because it is able to
> work around deficiencies in the individual components to make something
> that works at all. It certainly is true, though, that a lot of cycles
> are being wasted on each packet's trip through all that network linkage,
> and it would sure be nice if that waste could be avoided.

May be the best way to create minimal daemon that able to talk via rpc
with libvirt and have backends for nwfilter and openflow. Each rule it
translate to needed rules..

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tolstov@xxxxxxxxx