Re: [Libvirt][Sheepdog]Sheepdog pool/volume storage driver for libvirt problem

At Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:59:52 +0800,
harryxiyou wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Eric Blake <eblake@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> > Libvirt exists to manage existing hypervisor capabilities.  It makes no
> > sense for libvirt to be able to create storage volumes for a new
> > protocol if there are no hypervisors that are also able to support that
> > storage format.  So until qemu can target your new storage protocol, it
> > doesn't make sense to have libvirt support it either.
> >

> Thanks, i see. Eric, if you have free time, could you please give me some
> suggestions about following qestions, thanks in advance ;-)
>
> Morita added network disk support for Libvirt, which supported
> nbd, rbd, sheepdog, and other protocols. Now, i wanna test
> network disk support for sheepdog solely. I have following questions.
>
> 1, Before this test, whether should i build the environment of sheepdog
>     or other projects (QEMU)?

You need to set up QEMU.  Sheepdog is usable only from QEMU based
virtual machines.

> 2,  How could i test network disk support of sheepdog in Libvirt? Which
>      steps should i do for it?

1. prepare a file containing an XML domain description

  $ cat > sheepdog.xml
  <domain type='qemu'>
    <name>testvm</name>
    <memory>1048576</memory>
    <os>
      <type arch='x86_64'>hvm</type>
    </os>
    <devices>
      <disk type='network'>
        <source protocol="sheepdog" name="testvdi"/>
        <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      </disk>
    </devices>
  </domain>

2. boot from testvdi with virsh

  $ virsh create sheepdog.xml

> 3, Network disk support can support online storage management, right?

If you are talking about something like volume creation and deletion,
the patch doesn't contain it.

Thanks,

Kazutaka