Re: No VirtualBox Driver

On 12/17/12 13:30, Arslan Waqar wrote:

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Peter Krempa <pkrempa@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:pkrempa@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 12/17/12 09:07, Arslan Waqar wrote:

        Hey Peter,

        On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Peter Krempa
        <pkrempa@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pkrempa@xxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:pkrempa@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pkrempa@xxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

             On 12/17/12 07:40, Arslan Waqar wrote:

                 Hi all,

             Hi Arslan,

                 I am new to the group and hence there might be a chance
        I might be
                 asking a simple question...

                 The thing is I compiled and installed libvirt from git.
        Then in my
                 terminal window I started virsh. It started. Then since
        I had
                 Virtual
                 Box installed on my machine I ran "connect
        vbox:///session".
                 Once I did
                 this I got two errors which said:
                 error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor
                 error: internal error unable to initialize VirtualBox
        driver API

             What version of VirtualBox are you using? The support for
        Vbox 4.2
             wasn't committed yet to the tree as it lacks feedback from the
             users. If you have VirtualBox 4.2 and are willing to test the
             patches for that it would be really helpful.

                 I am unable to resolve this issue...Any input is welcome!

                 Thanks!

                 --
                 Regards,
                 Arslan Waqar.

             Peter

        I do have Virtual Box 4.2 and I am willing to test ... So please
        do send
        me instructions on how to get going. If there are any specific
        use cases
        which need to be testet then do send them to me... (BTW, I have some
        important VMs on VirtualBox, should I be worried about them
        while testing?)

    As you are using the git version it's pretty simple:

    You need to fetch the branch containing the patches:

    git fetch git://git.pipo.sk/libvirt.git
    <http://git.pipo.sk/libvirt.git> virtualbox-4.2

    and then create a new branch from FETCH_HEAD:

    git checkout -b virtualbox-4.2 FETCH_HEAD

    and then you need to compile it again. Make sure that the summary
    after configure ends lists the virtualbox driver.

        Also while installing I got the errors related to xhtml1-dtds
        ... I read
        quite a lot on it on
        http://www.redhat.com/__archives/libvir-list/2009-__November/msg00430.html
        <http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2009-November/msg00430.html>
        and turns out this problem is not present in Fedora, it occurs
        in Ubuntu
        almost every time, because ubuntu does not have xhtml1-dtds package.

    Hm, there's a possibility that the package is named differently in
    debian based distros.

        Now, because of this will I face any problem? if so then what
        exactly,
        and how to solve it...Also is there a workaround for it...?

    The inability to verify the DTDs shouldn't be fatal. Anyways, you
    don't really need to do make install from the git tree. You can run
    libvirt directly from the repo after it's built

        --
        Regards,
        Arslan Waqar.

I tried to to fetch the Virtual Box 4.2 drivers code branch by running
this command in terminal:
git fetch git://git.pipo.sk/libvirt.git
<http://git.pipo.sk/libvirt.git> virtualbox-4.2

I got the following error:
fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported: /libvirt.git

Apparently I cant access it... do I need to do some account verification
or something...?

My git server is probably misconfigured. I'll have a look and try to fix it.

Also I have searched almost everywhere and still haven't found a
workaround for the xhtml1-dtds package ... If some one is using Ubuntu
for libvirt development then kindly advise me a Ubuntu/Debian equivalent
package for xhtml1-dtds package ....

--
Regards,
Arslan Waqar.