Re: libvirt plans: dns support for IPv6?

FYI, already libvirt aims to work with old dnsmasq, in general there is
no problem with using features from new dnsmasq. If the host has an old
dnsmasq, they simply won't be able to take advantage of new features
libvirt might support. The key is simply that if the host has the old
dnsmasq, we should be careful not to invoke it in the wrong way for
existing features.
I am not sure I understand the reasoning for continuing support of old versions of dnsmasq ... but so be it. How is the version of dnsmasq being determined ... at [ugly] runtime or during configuration/compilation?

Adding IPv6 dns capability to libvirt is turning out to be a little more involve that I thought it would be.

Right now you can define a IPv6 network manually, define static IPv6 addresses in the guests, and add the definitions to the host's /etc/hosts file. That works.

The current dnsmasq 2.63 has a number of options for IPv6 and (to me) appears to duplicate some/all of the functionality of radvd. It is not clear to me that all of these need to be supported. However, there is one mode which uses "slaac" IPv6 addresses on a network running both IPv4 and IPv6 stacks. It then does a "little dance" and will add the IPv6 address to cache under the guest system's FQDN. But this is not dhcp support.

I am doing some testing but I believe that NetworkManager is not doing "the right thing" for stateful IPv6 addressing ... it is not sending the FQDN (not the host name like in IPv4 but the FQDN). I am trying not to dig into the NetworkManager code and am doing some testing to prove that this is the problem.

Assuming that both of these approaches to IPv6 addressing and a dns service are desirable, this means adding some kind of network definition parameters so that libvirt knows what dnsmasq parameters to use.

Any comments appreciated.

Gene