Re: [RFC Incomplete Patch] Libvirt + Openvswitch

On 01/27/2012 05:58 AM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
Hello all,

I know of many people who want to spin up VMs using libvirt + kvm/qemu and attach those VMs to an openvswitch bridge (see: http://www.openvswitch.org). However, the only way I know of to get this working is a kludge that uses to tap devices along with <interface type="ethernet"> while running ovs-vsctl outside of libvirt. Even worse, doing this on RHEL/Fedora seems to require privilege tweaks (e.g., running qemu as root, not dropping capabilities), which may not be acceptable for production deployments (see: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Virtualization_problems#Errors_using_.3Cinterface_type.3D.27ethernet.27.2F.3E ).

So I would like to start taking steps toward better libvirt/openvswitch integration. My initial step has the fairly limit goal of enabling kvm/qemu VM NICs to attach to an openvswitch bridge in much the same way VM NIC can already attached to the linux bridge. For example, specifying:

<interface type="openvswitch">
<source bridge="br0"/>
<mac address="ca:fe:de;ad:be:ef"/>
</interface>

It occurred to me while responding to Kyle's post about an openvswitch network type that maybe this would be better done as:

<interface type='bridge'>
<source bridge='br0' type='openvswitch'/>

This way any management application that hadn't yet been taught about the openvswitch extensions would still be able to report useful information. This may also make some of the switch statements simpler (as well as the change to the NetDef - it would just need an interfaceID added to the bridge case of the union). (I made a similar suggestion for the network definition as, I see, did Roopa Prabhu, who managed to hit send before I did :-)).