Re: domain shutdown requests

From the real physical usage case, the user can not shutdown a suspended OS before the OS is resumed. That is what Linux and Windows does now. And the user will get a interactive pop-up window before the request is confirmed. So in virtualized enviroment, it is better to resume the guest OS first. However, whether to shutdown the OS directly after resume or requiring a second shutdown is arguable.

Christian Benvenuti (benve):
When you shutdown a domain that is in PAUSED state, the shutdown will
not
take effect until you issue a resume cmd:

# virsh suspend<domain_name>

   <domain_name>  is now PAUSED

# virsh shutdown<domain_name>

   <domain_name>  does not shutdown, with the reason being that, for
   example in the case of a Linux Guest, the guest is not running and
   therefore there is no acpid running and able to process the shutdown
   request. Right?

If now we issue a resume

#virsh resume<domain_name>

   the guest initiates the (pending) shutdown (ie, acpid processes the
   pending request).

Is this the expected behavior?

Shouldn't virsh do something like this when it issues a shutdown
request?

   if (domain.state == PAUSED)
     resume(domain)

   shutdown(domain)

If yes, then I guess this logic should go
- into the cmdShutdown routine if we want to make it available to virsh
only,
or
- inside the driver's domainShutdown fn if we want to make it available
to any
   libvirt user.

One more minor comment.
As of now, "virsh list" (or 'virsh domstate<domain>') does not provide
any way of
knowing if
- a domain is being shutdown
or
- a domain has a pending shutdown request (like in the example above).

Would it make any sense to enhance the output of list/domstate , for
example to
show something like this when libvirt issues a shutdown to a running
domain

  Id Name                 State
   3 FC15-2               running (shutdown in progress)

Or something like this when it issues a shutdown to a PAUSED domain?

Id Name                 State
   3 FC15-2               PAUSED (shutdown request pending)

Thanks
/Chris