Re: libvirt(-java): virDomainMigrateSetMaxDowntime

This tells me that calling migrateSetMaxDowntime is only allowed during
migrations. As I'm migrating VMs automatically and without any user
intervention I'd need to create some glue code that runs in an extra
thread, waiting "some time" hoping that the migration was kicked off in
the main thread yet and then calling migrateSetMaxDowntime. I'd like to
avoid such quirks in the long run, if possible.

Multiple threads is our recommended approach to the problem, since it is
a general solution. eg you can call virDomainSuspend to pause the guest
during migration&  thus let it complete non-live. And virDomainGetJobInfo
to check progress. And virDomainAbortJob to cancel.

Sorry to reanimate this zombie, but I think this approach isn't really doable in a clean way, but maybe I'm missing something. I've started a new thread with Message-ID: <4E709C1E.1030408@xxxxxxxxxx> here.

Maybe you could give your highly appreciated 0.02 $/€ ...

I've also sent a fix to the under-underlying issue, which was much more easy for me both than I thought and than getting multiple threads done right here (I think one can't, but see above etc.). Anyways, chances of acceptance are not too high, eventually. One can't argue with politics.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-09/msg01754.html

regards,
thomas