Re: how to assign an ip when assign a NIC or VF to the Virtual Machine?

2011/5/8 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rjones@xxxxxxxxxx>>

    On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 10:56:54AM +0800, guan qin wrote:
    > The second solution you mentioned may be difficult , because
    when I assign
    > the ethX to the VM, the X in the 'ethX' is random (the  'X' in
    the host may
    > be different in the VM),I don't know it before I boot the VM .
    so maybe I
    > couldn't edit the guest correctly before booting VM.

    AFAIK the guest should always see "eth0", so this shouldn't be any
    problem.  If not, write udev rule(s) in the guest to force the name to
    be stable.

    > The first solution :
    > The network card's MAC address I can know and assign an fixed  IP in
    > advance, but for the VFs , before I create the VF by "modprobe
    > igb/ixgbe
    > max_vfs=num1,num2" ,I couldn't know the MAC address before
    either,the MAC
    > address generated randomly too.
    > So maybe I should edit the DHCP server configure file after
    creating the
    > VFs.

    It seems that for SR-IOV, MAC addresses are assigned to VFs randomly
    by the kernel.  It should be possible to read out the VF using (eg)
    libvirt before the VM has booted (if not, it would be a bug).  I think
    you can also assign fixed MAC addresses to VFs in advance if that
    would be simpler.  However I've not really used SR-IOV in anger so
    this may be wrong.