Re: [RFC] Add flag for virsh undefine to remove/wipe the disk devices

ä 2011å03æ30æ 21:58, Dave Allan åé:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 09:39:14PM +0800, Osier Yang wrote:
Hi, All

I'm thinking to introduce a new flag (something like --remove-disks,
--wipe-disks) for "virsh undefine", so that the user can choose
whether to remove/wipe the disk devices or not, have seen this
requirement in many places, @libvirt-users, public #virt, and also
we have a bug of this function. So, IMHO this is a reasonable
requirement, following is the rough thoughts:

1) General idea.
    As we don't have a API which can get all the disk devices of a
    domain, perhaps need to write functions to parse domain xml to
    extract the disks' path (this is annoyed, but seems don't other
    way), and then lookup them by storage volume API
    (virStorageVolLookupByPath), and then can remove or wipe
    the volume by (virStorageVolDelete/virStorageVolWipe).

    And for the disk path which doesn't belong to any storage pool,
    simply remove it by "unlink()"?

2) Which type of devices can not be removed/wiped.

Any device that's read/write by the guest should be wipeable.

Hum, make sense, :-)

    * Can't delete/wipe ISCSI/SCSI vol.
    * Vol doesn't exists (which will throw an warning when do
      virStorageVolLookupByPath).
    * Have no write permission on the parent directory of the
      disk path.
    * Can't delete/wipe the disk device which is passthrough'ed
      from host, (e.g. /dev/sr0 as a CDROM device for guest)
    * The storage pool which the disk device belongs to as a vol
      is marked as "share"
    * The storage pool which the disk device belongs as a vol is
      readonly
    * can't delete disk device of network type.
    * Any others?

    For these situations, we need to do checking and throw
    straightforward warnings to tell user why it can't be
    removed/wiped.

    Any idea is welcomed. Thanks.

    CC'ed Eric, as I saw you talked about this somewhere. (#virt?), :-)

Regards
Osier