Re: [libvirt-php] About the inconsistency in libvirt-php

On 02/22/2011 08:49 AM, Lyre wrote:

    From my understanding virConnectListActiveDomains() is listing all
    the active (running) domains and virConnectListDefinedDomains() is
    listing all the inactive domains that are defined since if we
    create a domain directly from XML, i.e. non-persistent, we have
    the domain in active domains list but it's not defined. Only
    inactive but defined domains are in the defined list AFAIK.

I can't find the function virConnectListActiveDomains(), did you mean virConnectListActiveDomains()?

Oh, sorry. It's called virConnectListDomains() in libvirt: Collect the list of active domains, and store their ID in @maxids. So that's why I rewrote it to lookup domain by ID and get the domain name to add to the list. I did rewrite some codes there and also I'm thinking of adding comments there. This will be later used to generate API documentation for the site.

    If we have 2 domains created *directly* from XML file, 3
    persistent domains active and 4 domains inactive (but defined) we
    should be getting number 5 from virConnectListActiveDomains()
    since 2 + 3. For defined (inactive) domains we should be getting
    number for and total number should be 2 + 3 + 4 = 9 domains.

Confused, do you missed some words?

I apologize. I made a typo there since I meant "For defined (inactive) domains we should be getting number four (4)".

Shouldn't it be:

2 active but not defined
3 active but defined
4 inactive and defined
2 + 3 = 5 active
3 + 4 = 7 defined
2 + 3 + 4 = 9 total

Well, from what I know defined domains are those that are both defined and *not* active as written at [1]: "Provides the number of defined but inactive domains.". Please note "but inactive". So therefore defined is returns number 4.

Michal

[1] http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains

--
Michal Novotny<minovotn@xxxxxxxxxx>, RHCE
Virtualization Team (xen userspace), Red Hat