Re: [RFC] libxenlight driver

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 04:49:25PM -0700, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> I'm looking into creating a driver for the new Xen xl/libxl toolstack
> (aka libxenlight [1]), set to become the default in upcoming Xen 4.1.0
> release.
>
> My first hurdle is deciding whether this should be a new driver or
> integrated with existing xen-unified driver.  Initially I thought a new
> driver would be a better approach - a clean break from the old code,
> similar to the xenapi driver.  libxenlight is also stateless (no managed
> domains), which seems like another good argument for a new driver.  But
> libxenlight is really just another interface into the same hypervisor,
> so in that regard it should be a xen-unified subdriver.
>
> There are certainly benefits to the xen-unified subdriver approach, e.g.
> the existing hypervisor and xenstore subdrivers can be leveraged, the
> former providing all the capabilities code.  But AFAIK, libxenlight and
> xend should not be used together, so I don't think we would want the
> xend subdriver activated if libxenlight is detected.  Supposedly xl can

  Seems to call for a new driver actually,

> be used as a direct replacement for xm, allowing unconditional use of
> that subdriver.
>
> BTW, Ian Jackson responded [2] to some of my questions regarding
> compatibility between old and new toolstack if you are interested.
>
> I'd like to hear other's opinions on a new driver vs. a xen-unified
> subdriver.
>
> Regards,
> Jim
>
> [1] http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-11/msg00436.html
> [2]
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-11/msg00344.html

  Hum, licencing would have to be sorted out. If this is only linked into
libvirtd then using GPL only bits would be fine I guess but if directly
linked into libvirt shared lib then we will have to be careful to select
only LGPL libraries.

Daniel

daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/