Re: Got time to try out the libvirt 0.8.6 win32 package?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 06:32:43PM +0100, Matthias Bolte wrote:
> 2010/12/13 Justin Clift <jclift@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On 14/12/2010, at 3:38 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >> This raises the question of how the tools depending on libvirt
> >> will be distributed. eg virt-viewer. ÂIf they're separate, then
> >> we need to make sure the tools continue working, after any update
> >> of libvirt without changing paths manually.
> >>
> >> IMHO, rather than just distributing a libvirt installer, we should
> >> distribute a 'virt tools' installer on virt-tools.org which has
> >> a complete bundle of everything that has been ported to Win32,
> >> libvirt core, language bindings and apps. The installer would of
> >> course allow you to pick & choose which bits to install.
> >
> > Yeah, that's not a bad idea too.
> >
> > One of the interesting things that turned up from this exercise
> > so far, is that having a shortcut to virsh.exe in the windows
> > install menu doesn't work (tried it). ÂVirsh (on windows) needs
> > to be given a connection string in order to do anything. ÂWithout
> > it, it just displays an error message then exits.
>
> That's because autodetection for the URI doesn't work with remote
> drivers only. You cannot guess the server name.
>
> > Using a shortcut at the moment means the user sees a black
> > dos prompt screen show up for a fraction of a second (not long
> > enough to read the text) then disappear. ÂNot real practical, so
> > disabled the shortcut creation.
> >
> > Thinking what we'd probably want to do for virsh is have a
> > dialog or something that lets the user assemble a connection
> > string, then launches virsh using that. ÂSomeone probably has
> > a better idea than that though. :)
> >

> Well, you can do that with a simple batch file:
>
> @echo off
> set /p uri="Enter libvirt connection URI: "
> virsh.exe -c %uri%
> pause
>
> Put that in a virsh-launcher.bat in the same directory as virsh.exe
> and link to it.
>
> The set /p command outputs the prompt string and lets the user input a
> line of text and assigns it to the uri variable. The pause at the end
> stops the command window from closing automatically when virsh exits.
>
> You might add some informative output before the set /p using echo.

This really wants a trivial GTK app around it. Just popup a
dialog box, that populates a list of auto-detected URLs from
avahi (or Win32 equivalent), or a text field to enter one
manually. Then just launch virsh with whatever they choose.

Regards,
Daniel