From: Daniel P. Berrange [mailto:berrange@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 8:58 AM
To: Tavares, John
Cc: libvir-list@xxxxxxxxxx; Tomen Tse; Betley, Greg; Chen, Jianjiun
Subject: Re:  inability to open local read-only connection

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 07:42:32AM -0500, Tavares, John wrote:
> If you don't mind, I have a few other questions related to
> this that I'd like to ask before I forget about them.
>
> 1) Is there any technical reason for not shipping the 32-bit
> version of the libvirt shared library for 64-bit systems??

The libvirt RPC protocol is arch-invariant, so you can use
a 32-bit libvirt library to talk to a 64-bit host, and
vica-verca. So you can install the 32bit library if desired,
but really 32-bit is dead technology, so its better to just
recompile any apps for 64-bit.

> 2) Is it possible via libvirt to get that some additional
> information about the guests, such as:
> 	a) uptime
> 	b) hostname
> 	c) real operating system

You can't reliably get any of that information without having
an agent running inside the guest OS. Currently libvirt does
not concern itself with guest agent services, the focus being
primarily on host OS management. There's a small chance this
may change in the future, but its too early to say for sure.

Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|