Re: PATCH: support virtual disks

On 10 Jun 2010, at 17:22, Justin Clift wrote:
> Haven't taken a look at how NBD devices attach to the host system yet, so I'm just trying to understand the concept here.
>
> I'm used to some other network storage types (ie SRP LUNs), that when configured on a host system present as a disk device.  These can then be configured using various storage pool types (ie disk, dir, fs, etc) as per a "standard" locally attached device.
>
> Kind of wondering if NBD should be like that too?

NBD devices don't show up on the host as block devices (or, indeed, at all). Instead, the QEMU process communicates directly with the storage node over the network.

Whether this is preferable or not is debatable, but a bit of a moot point now, as it's already implemented in QEMU like this. :) More importantly, this opens the way for other potential QEMU block devices which work similarly.