Re: Add iommu device when VM configured with > 255 vcpus

On Thu, 2024-05-30 at 14:45 +0200, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> Usability of huge VMs (incl. large amount of vCPUs) heavily depends
> on used guest OS. What would work for one might not work for other.
> For general purpose OS adding IOMMU is typically necessary to make
> vCPUs over 254 usable, for Windows adjusting -smp might make a
> difference.
>
> On the other hand, special built guest with tailored QEMU config
> might
> work without IOMMU just fine (David was the one who patched KVM to
> that
> effect if I recall correctly).

So, as far as I know, there is no way for any OS with any configuration
to bring up more than 255 vCPUs, without a vIOMMU.

IIUIC, it's a matter of number of bits available in the I/O APIC IRQ
destination register. Like, with only that available, and it being only
8 bit wide, it's just not doable.

In fact, even Linux is actually able to at least start... But it shows
the "[Firmware Bug]" lines and only has 255 online vCPUs, with no way
of bringing up the other ones (and I haven't stress tested a VM running
like that, so I don't know if it's also stable).

> What I'm saying is that workload specific customization (guest OS)
> is not handled at libvirt layer.

FWIW, this seems more hardware than guest OS related to me...

> It's typically upper layers which know what guest OS would be
> and it's up to them to customize config to make sure that workload
> would be able to use VM as intended.

Ok. But then why Libvirt does not let me define a VM with more than 255
vCPUs and no vIOMMU ?

I mean, basing on what you're saying, it seems that such should depend
(but, if yes, I'm not sure how....) on guest OS too... doesn't it?

Regards,
--
Dario Faggioli, Ph.D
http://about.me/dario.faggioli