Re: Google Summer of Code 2024 Proposal: Enhancing libvirt's Website and Documentation

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 18:23:17 +0530, Gowreesh Simhadri wrote:
> Dear Libvirt Team,
>
> I had a deep look at your website and believe there is significant
> potential to enhance its user experience and reach.
> My proposal focuses on delivering the following improvements:
>
> Website Enhancements:
>
> User Interface and Functionality:
> •Implement user login and logout features for authorized administrators to
> manage the website, specifically for posting blog content.

Libvirt web is static and should remain static. Content management is
done exclusively trhough patches. Everything the page provides MUST work
via gitlab-pages which basically mandates static content.

We don't want to engage in any form of sysadmining of the host necessary
to run the dynamic backend nor want to spend resources into acquiring
the infrastructure or anything that would incur any long-term
maintenance burden on the team.

> •Ensure responsive design across mobile, tablet, and laptop devices for
> seamless user experience on any platform.
> •Consider incorporating modern design elements, using neon colors

Neon colors are a straight no from me.

> cautiously and strategically, to create a more visually engaging website.
> •Integrate a statistical dashboard displaying user engagement metrics and
> positive feedback to showcase the website's impact.

See above.

> Documentation Improvement:
> •Develop a comprehensive "How to Get Started" guide to aid new contributors
> and users.
> •Enhance the documentation with all necessary information, ensuring clarity
> and ease of access.
> •Integrate a dedicated "Documentation" tab within the website for easy
> access to all relevant information.
>
> Accessibility Features:
> •Implement multi-language support for the website, including French,
> Spanish, German, and other relevant languages to expand its reach and
> inclusivity.

Unfortunately we don't have the content in multiple languages. The main
part of the content is the XML documentation which is massive and any
updates are likely just to update the english version.

The API documentation is generated from code thus there's even less
chance for multilingual support.

> •Integrate search functionality within both the website and documentation
> for efficient information retrieval.
> •Explore the feasibility of incorporating animated code snippets within
> blog posts for interactive learning and engagement.

Animated snippets?